Seasonal flu is a highly infectious illness caused by a flu virus. The virus infects your lungs and upper airways, causing a sudden high temperature and general aches and pains. You could also lose your appetite, feel nauseous and have a dry cough. Symptoms can last for up to a week.
You may be invited for a flu jab if you are:
- are 65 years of age or over
- are pregnant
- have certain medical conditions
- are living in a long-stay residential care home or other long-stay care facility
- receive a carer’s allowance, or you are the main carer for an elderly or disabled person whose welfare may be at risk if you fall ill
- or have a serious long-term health condition, including:
- chronic (long-term) respiratory diseases, such as asthma
- chronic heart disease, such as heart failure
- chronic kidney disease
- chronic liver disease, such as hepatitis
- chronic neurological conditions, such as Parkinson’s disease
- problems with your spleen – for example, sickle cell disease or if you have had your spleen removed
- a weakened immune system as the result of conditions such as HIV and AIDS
- being seriously overweight (BMI of 40 or above)
- eligible children who are aged 2 and 3 on 31st August 2019 – that is, children born between September 1 2015 and August 31 2017
- Children who are 4 years old are also eligible for flu vaccination provided they were 3 on August 31 2019. These children should be offered the vaccination at their general practice.
- Children in reception class and school years 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 will be offered their vaccination in school. In a couple of areas it might be offered in primary care settings.
Flu clinics at Asplands Medical Centre between 8.30am – 12 noon.
- Saturday 5th October 2019 over 65’s only
- Saturday 12th October 2019
- Saturday 26th October 2019
Flu clinics at Woburn Surgery are on the afternoons:
- Wednesday 2nd October
- Tuesday 22nd October
- Wednesday 23rd October
Please note there are 2 types of flu vaccination, one more suitable for those over 65 & one for those age 64 and under.
Please note: 2nd & 5th October is only for those over 65, as the immunisation for the under 65’s will not arrive until a later date.